Breaking

Callum Wilson reveals influential Alan Shearer talks as he signs for Newcastle in £20m deal and takes famous No.9 shirt



Callum Wilson reveals influential Alan Shearer talks as he signs for Newcastle in £20m deal and takes famous No.9 shirt




Callum Wilson has completed his £20million move from Bournemouth to Newcastle United – with Alan Shearer playing an influential role in the transfer.


The 28-year-old England international striker has signed a four-year deal with the Magpies, joining from Bournemouth following their relegation from the Premier League.



Wilson moves to Newcastle after six years on the south coast



GETTY


3


Wilson moves to Newcastle after six years on the south coast

He will wear the number nine shirt at St James’ Park, taking the jersey from club record signing Joelinton, who struggled in his debut season.


Wilson will hope to emulate the Magpies’ most famous No.9, having been convinced to reject Aston Villa to join Newcastle by Alan Shearer.


“Shearer messaged me when I got a call-up for England and we’ve also been in touch about me coming here,” revealed Wilson. “It was already in my mind that I was coming here but that made it concrete.”


Further discussing Newcastle’s interest in signing him, Wilson added: “From the minute I knew that Newcastle were interested, it was definitely something that appealed to me.






“It’s a massive club with great history. Along the years, they’ve had great strikers, so if I can emulate half of what they’ve done, I’d like to attempt that.


“I believe in my ability as a player. As a striker, I think it’s important to set yourself goals long term and short term, and I’m hoping to achieve them.


“With the players around me, I believe we can get the goals we need as team and I want to help contribute to that.”



Wilson scored on his England debut in 2018 and has four caps for his country



GETTY


3


Wilson scored on his England debut in 2018 and has four caps for his country

Wilson is set to be the first of three new arrivals at St James’ Park this week.


Ryan Fraser, his former Bournemouth teammate, is joining the Magpies on a free transfer, while Norwich have accepted an offer of around £15million from Newcastle for Jamal Lewis.


On Wilson, Newcastle boss Bruce said: “Callum is somebody I’ve admired for a long time and I’m delighted to get him.


“He has done fantastically well at Bournemouth and was deservedly playing centre forward for England less than two years ago.


“The club has worked ever so hard to get Callum here and we have beaten off competition from a number of clubs.


“I’m grateful the club has made it happen. Lee Charnley and those behind the scenes deserve a lot of credit.”




Play our new talkSPORT Selector game NOW! Simply pick one winning Premier League team each Gameweek and you could win a share of £10,000. 18+ Full terms and conditions apply. BeGambleAware.Org.







Source link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology