Breaking

Carl Froch tells story of drunk people trying to fight him in pubs – ‘I threw a few pre-emptive strikes’



Carl Froch tells story of drunk people trying to fight him in pubs – ‘I threw a few pre-emptive strikes’




Carl Froch has revealed that he was regularly involved in fights in pubs when growing up as a youngster.


The former world champion and British boxing legend insisted he never went in seach of trouble, but always defended himself when confronted.



Froch was renowned for being incredibly resilient in the ring



Getty Images – Getty


3


Froch was renowned for being incredibly resilient in the ring

Froch explained on his podcast ‘Froch on Fighting’: “Some people are stupid and they’re just bullies and they think, ‘If I can knock out a pro boxer or beef a pro boxer, it gives me a bit of street cred.’


“I never went out looking for trouble and I never really mixed in troublesome environments.


“But I grew up in pubs from the age of about 14/15, so I was fighting quite a lot in pubs.



Throughout his career, Froch never shied away from a fight



Getty – Contributor


3


Throughout his career, Froch never shied away from a fight

“What I’d do with people, I’d always give them a chance to walk away, and I’d always say to them, ‘Look mate, you’ve had too much to drink, come back tomorrow, we’ll all be friends tomorrow when you wake up sober.’


“Most of the time people would take my advice, but every now and again someone would say, ‘Who are you telling me?’


“I was only like 17/18 years old, like six-foot and about 11 stone. I was skinny.












“I didn’t look like much so people would have a go at me, but I’d always wait for them to have a go at me before I did anything.


“So I’d always do a pre-emptive strike, I’ve done a security course and you’re not allowed to attack somebody, you’re not allowed to go for somebody.


“But if somebody attacks you, you’re allowed to defend yourself. So I’d always wait for them to make the first move and I’d then hit them with what you call a pre-emptive strike.


“So I threw a few pre-emptive strikes in my time. They all deserved it.”



Froch is now happily retired



Getty Images – Getty


3


Froch is now happily retired

Nowadays the situation is different, as Froch added: “A lot of the time when we go out I’ve got big Lee [brother] there. If we’re going to a bar or a club or something, I’ve always got someone with me.


“Someone who’s bigger than me. If people are gonna look at me and think, ‘I’m gonna start with Froch.’


“They’ve gotta think, ‘1. Froch can fight. 2. Who’s that big lump with him?’


“So they’ve gotta be really stupid. But I never really get involved in much aggro when I go out.”








Source link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology